Tanzania: 43 alleged Islamist separatists arrested
Zanzibar: Police say they have arrested 43 suspected members of an Islamist group seeking greater independence for the Tanzania’s Zanzibar archipelago.
Police official Mussa Ali Mussa said today the suspects of the Association for Islamic Mobilisation and Propaganda were arrested since a protest rally on Friday that security forces dispersed with tear gas and water cannons.
The group has been gaining popularity in Muslim-dominated Zanzibar, which is a popular Indian Ocean tourist destination off the East African nation`s coast.
Mussa said the UAMSHO group staged Friday`s illegal protest at a mosque using the pretext they were praying for the victims of a ferry accident off the island that cost almost 150 lives this week.
UAMSHO leader Farid Hadi says the group was peacefully mourning the victims but was attacked by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price