Tanzania: 43 alleged Islamist separatists arrested
Zanzibar: Police say they have arrested 43 suspected members of an Islamist group seeking greater independence for the Tanzania’s Zanzibar archipelago.
Police official Mussa Ali Mussa said today the suspects of the Association for Islamic Mobilisation and Propaganda were arrested since a protest rally on Friday that security forces dispersed with tear gas and water cannons.
The group has been gaining popularity in Muslim-dominated Zanzibar, which is a popular Indian Ocean tourist destination off the East African nation`s coast.
Mussa said the UAMSHO group staged Friday`s illegal protest at a mosque using the pretext they were praying for the victims of a ferry accident off the island that cost almost 150 lives this week.
UAMSHO leader Farid Hadi says the group was peacefully mourning the victims but was attacked by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'