Tanzania: 43 alleged Islamist separatists arrested
Zanzibar: Police say they have arrested 43 suspected members of an Islamist group seeking greater independence for the Tanzania’s Zanzibar archipelago.
Police official Mussa Ali Mussa said today the suspects of the Association for Islamic Mobilisation and Propaganda were arrested since a protest rally on Friday that security forces dispersed with tear gas and water cannons.
The group has been gaining popularity in Muslim-dominated Zanzibar, which is a popular Indian Ocean tourist destination off the East African nation`s coast.
Mussa said the UAMSHO group staged Friday`s illegal protest at a mosque using the pretext they were praying for the victims of a ferry accident off the island that cost almost 150 lives this week.
UAMSHO leader Farid Hadi says the group was peacefully mourning the victims but was attacked by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!