Tanzania: Over 200 bodies recovered from ferry
Stone Town: A government official says more than 200 bodies have been recovered after an overloaded ferry sank off the Tanzania coast.
Mohammed Aboud Mohammed said on Sunday that 192 bodies had been claimed by relatives and 28 more were awaiting identification. The bodies have been taken to a sports field, where imams are saying prayers and the bodies are being washed and wrapped in white according to Islamic custom.
Weeping families walked among them looking for their families.
The MV Spice Islander sank in an area of deep sea and strong currents in the early hours of Saturday with hundreds more people aboard than its official capacity of 600.
The number of total passengers is still unclear and officials expect the death toll to rise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what