Tanzania: Over 200 bodies recovered from ferry
Stone Town: A government official says more than 200 bodies have been recovered after an overloaded ferry sank off the Tanzania coast.
Mohammed Aboud Mohammed said on Sunday that 192 bodies had been claimed by relatives and 28 more were awaiting identification. The bodies have been taken to a sports field, where imams are saying prayers and the bodies are being washed and wrapped in white according to Islamic custom.
Weeping families walked among them looking for their families.
The MV Spice Islander sank in an area of deep sea and strong currents in the early hours of Saturday with hundreds more people aboard than its official capacity of 600.
The number of total passengers is still unclear and officials expect the death toll to rise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today