Tanzanian-flagged ship fights off pirates: US Navy
Dubai: The US Navy says the crew of a Tanzanian-flagged ship has successfully fought off a pirate attack in the Gulf of Aden before a US warship arrived and apprehended the pirates.
The Navy`s 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain, UAE, said on Monday the MV Barakaale 1 signalled for help from the international anti-pirate task force after pirates tried to board the vessel from a skiff.
The statement said the American destroyer USS Farragut dispatched a helicopter that gave chase to the pirate skiff, firing warning shots across its bow that brought it to a halt.
Sailors from the USS Farragut then boarded the pirate vessel and detained the eight men on board.
- US says Iraq's PM in ''strong position'' amid political unrest
- US Navy chief hopes for `normalization` with Russia in Baltic
- Turkey says Gaziantep attacker linked to IS
- US Presidential polls: Donald Trump looks to smother Ted Cruz as Indiana votes today
- Court order shuts down WhatsApp in Brazil, again