Tariq Aziz gets 10 years for atrocities on Kurds
Baghdad: An Iraqi court has convicted former Saddam Hussein foreign minister Tariq Aziz for atrocities committed against Shiite Kurds and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.
Monday`s verdict is separate from an execution order that the former diplomat already faces.
The verdict comes at the end of a trial for Saddam-era atrocities against Shiite Kurds.
Court officials say Aziz was spared the death penalty because of his lesser involvement in the atrocities than some of his coconspirators.
The court has found two of Saddam Hussein`s half brothers not guilty in 1980s-era atrocities that the dictator led against Faili Kurds during the Iran-Iraq war.
Iraqi High Tribunal spokesman Mohammed Abdul-Sahib says the court was also considering on Monday a verdict against Tariq Aziz in the fourth set of charges against Saddam`s former top diplomat.
Aziz and Saddam`s half brothers — Sabawi Ibrhim al-Hassan and Watban Ibrhim — were charged with participating in Saddam`s deadly campaign against the small sect of ethnic Kurds who follow the Shiite branch of Islam.
Aziz already faces execution in an earlier case linking him to Saddam`s persecution of Shiite political parties.
Saddam was a Sunni Muslim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in