Tariq Aziz gets 10 years for atrocities on Kurds
Baghdad: An Iraqi court has convicted former Saddam Hussein foreign minister Tariq Aziz for atrocities committed against Shiite Kurds and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.
Monday`s verdict is separate from an execution order that the former diplomat already faces.
The verdict comes at the end of a trial for Saddam-era atrocities against Shiite Kurds.
Court officials say Aziz was spared the death penalty because of his lesser involvement in the atrocities than some of his coconspirators.
The court has found two of Saddam Hussein`s half brothers not guilty in 1980s-era atrocities that the dictator led against Faili Kurds during the Iran-Iraq war.
Iraqi High Tribunal spokesman Mohammed Abdul-Sahib says the court was also considering on Monday a verdict against Tariq Aziz in the fourth set of charges against Saddam`s former top diplomat.
Aziz and Saddam`s half brothers — Sabawi Ibrhim al-Hassan and Watban Ibrhim — were charged with participating in Saddam`s deadly campaign against the small sect of ethnic Kurds who follow the Shiite branch of Islam.
Aziz already faces execution in an earlier case linking him to Saddam`s persecution of Shiite political parties.
Saddam was a Sunni Muslim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand