Taxi-driver on a deadly rampage kills 12, injures 25 in UK
London: In Britain`s deadliest mass
shooting since 1996, at least 12 people were killed and 25
others injured on Wednesday when a taxi driver went on a rampage in
rural northwest England before turning the gun on himself.
Prime Minister David Cameron told the House of Commons
that "the government will do everything it possibly can to
help the local community and those affected."
The lawmakers are "alarmed and shocked" by the
shootings in the Lake District, he said.
At least twelve people have been killed and 25 others
injured in 11 different locations in the Lake District, the
police said. The police have found the body of 52-year-old
Derrick Bird near Boot, Cumbria. The shooting incident is
described as Britain`s deadliest mass shooting since 1996.
A police spokesman said: "Police have seized a gun
from the scene and are now working to formally confirm the
identity of the deceased and the number of people injured or
dead." The gunman apparently killed himself later.
People across the popular tourist destination had
earlier been cautioned to stay indoors after the shootings
which began in Duke Street in Whitehaven.
At the scene of the shooting, a body lay covered by a
black blanket outside a taxi rank guarded by police officers.
A Cumbria Police spokesman said: "There are a number
of fatalities and police are working to identify the
individuals and inform relatives."
Ambulance crews are in attendance across the area.
One witness said the gunman drove up alongside him at
traffic lights by Whitehaven police station.
Alan Hannah, 68 of Great Broughton, said "As I turned
past the police station, I saw all these officers running out
and realised something major was going on so I moved over to
the right-hand lane.
"Then a car pulled up on the left, stopping at the
lights. I saw a man with a large shotgun and his windscreen
was smashed. I drove through the red light to get into Lowther
Street and get out of the way. I got home safely but was very
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3