Team to probe event at US nuclear site
Carlsbad: The US Department of Energy says it has appointed a team to investigate the detection of radiation in and near a southeastern New Mexico facility that`s the nation`s only underground nuclear waste repository.
The department says the assessment of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant will be conducted by an accident investigation board consisting of department officials and representatives of health and safety agencies.
An underground monitor at the plant detected airborne radiation late Friday night, and an independent monitor center said yesterday it found radioactive isotopes in an air sensor 800 meters away.
Russell Hardy of the Carlsbad Environmental Monitoring and Research Center says the detected levels are highest ever detected at or around the site but also far below those deemed unsafe by the Environmental Protection Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16