Team to probe event at US nuclear site
Carlsbad: The US Department of Energy says it has appointed a team to investigate the detection of radiation in and near a southeastern New Mexico facility that`s the nation`s only underground nuclear waste repository.
The department says the assessment of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant will be conducted by an accident investigation board consisting of department officials and representatives of health and safety agencies.
An underground monitor at the plant detected airborne radiation late Friday night, and an independent monitor center said yesterday it found radioactive isotopes in an air sensor 800 meters away.
Russell Hardy of the Carlsbad Environmental Monitoring and Research Center says the detected levels are highest ever detected at or around the site but also far below those deemed unsafe by the Environmental Protection Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad