Teenage Maldives girl flogged for ‘premarital sex’
London: A 15-year-old rape victim in Maldives has been sentenced to 100 lashes for engaging in premarital sex.
The charges against the girl were brought against her last year after police investigated accusations that her stepfather had raped her and killed their baby. He is still to face trial.
According to the reports, prosecutors said her conviction did not relate to the rape case.
Zaima Nasheed, a spokesperson for the juvenile court, said the girl was also ordered to remain under house arrest at a children`s home for eight months.
She defended the punishment, saying the girl had willingly committed an act outside of the law, the report said.
Officials said she would receive the punishment when she turns 18, unless she requested it earlier, it added.
The case was sent for prosecution after police were called to investigate a dead baby buried on the island of Feydhoo in Shaviyani Atoll, in the north of the country.
According to the report, Amnesty International condemned the punishment as "cruel, degrading and inhumane".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state