Teenage Maldives girl flogged for ‘premarital sex’
London: A 15-year-old rape victim in Maldives has been sentenced to 100 lashes for engaging in premarital sex.
The charges against the girl were brought against her last year after police investigated accusations that her stepfather had raped her and killed their baby. He is still to face trial.
According to the reports, prosecutors said her conviction did not relate to the rape case.
Zaima Nasheed, a spokesperson for the juvenile court, said the girl was also ordered to remain under house arrest at a children`s home for eight months.
She defended the punishment, saying the girl had willingly committed an act outside of the law, the report said.
Officials said she would receive the punishment when she turns 18, unless she requested it earlier, it added.
The case was sent for prosecution after police were called to investigate a dead baby buried on the island of Feydhoo in Shaviyani Atoll, in the north of the country.
According to the report, Amnesty International condemned the punishment as "cruel, degrading and inhumane".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song