Teenage Saudi bride wins divorce from 90-yr-old man
Sydney: A teenage Saudi girl, who was forced to marry a 90-year-old man, has been granted a divorce after a local human rights group intervened, a report has said.
The elderly Saudi threatened to sue the family of his 15-year-old runaway child bride, asking them to return either the girl or the money he paid them to marry her.
The man said that he had paid the girl`s parents a USD 17,500 dowry, which made the marriage "legal and correct”.
Al-Hayat daily had reported that the teenager locked herself inside the bedroom on her wedding night before fleeing the man`s home and returning to her parents.
The Saudi Human Rights Commission raised the case `after learning of the marriage of the minor girl` in southeast Saudi Arabia, the group`s head, Bandar al-Ayban, said in a statement, the Age reports.
The commission had provided "legal assistance to the girl" so she could get a divorce, Ayban said.
According to the report, another commission member, Hadi al-Yami, said the girl had "expressed her rejection of this marriage”.
The divorce was announced after a regional tribal chief and local dignitaries intervened, the report said.
Yami said that the commission is “trying in cooperation with Ministries of Justice and Health to prevent such marriages”, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...