Teenage Saudi bride wins divorce from 90-yr-old man
Sydney: A teenage Saudi girl, who was forced to marry a 90-year-old man, has been granted a divorce after a local human rights group intervened, a report has said.
The elderly Saudi threatened to sue the family of his 15-year-old runaway child bride, asking them to return either the girl or the money he paid them to marry her.
The man said that he had paid the girl`s parents a USD 17,500 dowry, which made the marriage "legal and correct”.
Al-Hayat daily had reported that the teenager locked herself inside the bedroom on her wedding night before fleeing the man`s home and returning to her parents.
The Saudi Human Rights Commission raised the case `after learning of the marriage of the minor girl` in southeast Saudi Arabia, the group`s head, Bandar al-Ayban, said in a statement, the Age reports.
The commission had provided "legal assistance to the girl" so she could get a divorce, Ayban said.
According to the report, another commission member, Hadi al-Yami, said the girl had "expressed her rejection of this marriage”.
The divorce was announced after a regional tribal chief and local dignitaries intervened, the report said.
Yami said that the commission is “trying in cooperation with Ministries of Justice and Health to prevent such marriages”, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'