Tehran to continue supporting Hezbollah: Iranian lawmaker
Tehran: Iran will continue to support Lebanon`s Hezbollah movement, a senior Iranian lawmaker said Saturday.
Supporting the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah is a principle of Iran`s foreign policy, Xinhua quoted Mohammad Hassan Asafari, a parliamentarian, as saying, while adding that Tehran will continue to throw its weight behind the movement.
Drawing attention to a recent meeting between Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif and Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, Asafari said, "During this meeting, the (Iranian) foreign minister reiterated that support will continue for the resistance movement Hezbollah, which seeks to establish peace in Lebanon and fight hegemony."
Lebanon`s Shiite militant movement Hezbollah has enjoyed financial and military supports of Iran since its foundation in 1982 amid Lebanon`s war with Israel.
Hezbollah is currently fighting on the side of the Syrian government against the rebels in Syria.
On Friday, Iran`s Majlis (parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani also reiterated Iran`s unconditional support for Hezbollah, saying that his country would never slacken in doing so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav