Tehreek-e-Insaaf supporters halt NATO supplies against drone attack
Quetta: Hundreds of supporters of Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) party briefly halted trucks and containers carrying supplies for the NATO troops in Afghanistan, in protest against the latest drone attack, officials have said.
Police official Abdul Rauf confirmed that around 200 PTI supporters had blocked the containers and trucks on the outskirts of Qeutta yesterday.
"But we negotiated with them and cleared the blockade," he said.
A US drone targeted a house in the country`s restive North Waziristan tribal region, killing four militants, including foreign fighters late night Wednesday.
Imran Khan-led PTI has already stopped NATO containers and trucks from using the route through the Khyber Pakhtunkhawa province which it governs after the May elections.
Since PTI stopped the carrying of supplies for the troops in Afghanistan the NATO and the US have been using alternate routes through Balochistan province via the Chaman border.
The PTI strongly opposes the use of drone attacks which is also unpopular among most Pakistanis.
Imran Khan has urged the federal government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to force the US to end drone attacks and block NATO supplies across the country.
Imran on Wednesday
had reiterated that the blockade of containers and trcks would continue in the KP province until the drone attacks were stopped by the US government.
The party is also supported in their stance by the conservative Jamaat-i-Islami (JI) which also attended the rally yesterday demanding an end to the strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation