Telecom giant Huawei `spied` for China: Ex-CIA head
Wellington: Former head of CIA has reportedly alleged that Chinese telecommunications manufacturer Huawei Technologies has spied for the Chinese government and supplied sensitive intelligence to the officials.
According to Stuff.co.nz, Michael Hayden has said that the company is a security threat to Australia and the US` domestic phone networks and intelligence agencies have hard evidence of its activities.
Hayden said that it is his `professional judgment` that Huawei supplied sensitive intelligence to Chinese officials, an assessment that backs up the federal government`s decision in 2011 to ban it from helping build the national broadband network.
According to the report, Huawei, China`s second-largest company, has been dogged by controversy in its efforts to sell telecommunications infrastructure to the Australian, Indian, American, European, UK, Canadian and New Zealand markets.
Hayden said that US intelligence agencies has information about Huawei`s clandestine activities and it had shared with the Chinese state `intimate and extensive knowledge of the foreign telecommunications systems it is involved with`.
Huawei`s global cyber security officer, John Suffolk, described Hayden`s comments as tired, unsubstantiated and defamatory, and said that the company`s critics should present any evidence publicly.
Director of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, James Lewis, also agreed with Hayden`s claims and said that officials within several agencies have privately told him that Huawei is a national security threat.
The report added Hayden saying that he understands that it can be tough on business in Australia and the US because they are taking the lowest bidder out of the competition but it isn`t very hard for them in the security domain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp