Ten die in car crash in southern Russia
Moscow: Russian authorities say 10 people were killed in a road accident overnight when their vehicle veered into the path of an oncoming truck in the country`s south.
The Emergency Situations Ministry said in a statement today that a mini-van and the truck collided shortly after midnight yesterday on a highway in the Stavropol region, killing 10 people in the van.
The NTV channel quoted Alexei Safarov, the acting traffic police chief for the Stavropol region, as saying that the nine passengers and their driver were travelling to a wedding party in a neighbouring village. He said the driver had either fallen ill or asleep, when he swerved into the oncoming lane.
Russia has a dismal record of road safety caused by motorists` carelessness, low safety standards and poor road quality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids