Ten die in car crash in southern Russia
Moscow: Russian authorities say 10 people were killed in a road accident overnight when their vehicle veered into the path of an oncoming truck in the country`s south.
The Emergency Situations Ministry said in a statement today that a mini-van and the truck collided shortly after midnight yesterday on a highway in the Stavropol region, killing 10 people in the van.
The NTV channel quoted Alexei Safarov, the acting traffic police chief for the Stavropol region, as saying that the nine passengers and their driver were travelling to a wedding party in a neighbouring village. He said the driver had either fallen ill or asleep, when he swerved into the oncoming lane.
Russia has a dismal record of road safety caused by motorists` carelessness, low safety standards and poor road quality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS