Ten die in car crash in southern Russia
Moscow: Russian authorities say 10 people were killed in a road accident overnight when their vehicle veered into the path of an oncoming truck in the country`s south.
The Emergency Situations Ministry said in a statement today that a mini-van and the truck collided shortly after midnight yesterday on a highway in the Stavropol region, killing 10 people in the van.
The NTV channel quoted Alexei Safarov, the acting traffic police chief for the Stavropol region, as saying that the nine passengers and their driver were travelling to a wedding party in a neighbouring village. He said the driver had either fallen ill or asleep, when he swerved into the oncoming lane.
Russia has a dismal record of road safety caused by motorists` carelessness, low safety standards and poor road quality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees