Ten die in explosion, shootings in Nigeria
Abuja: A bomb blast and gunfire Wednesday killed
at least 10 people and injured many others in Nigeria`s troubled city of Maiduguri, according to eyewitnesses.
The eyewitnesses said the deaths resulted mainly from the
action of the soldiers who burnt houses and shot sporadically
after a man was killed while trying to throw a bomb at them.
The man died while detonating the bomb following which
soldiers started firing. They also physically assaulted some
inhabitants while searching houses for the bombers suspected
to be members of Islamic sect Boko Haram, residents said.
"From where I am speaking, two corpses are lying along
the road. The soldiers would not allow anyone into that area
for they would not want the destruction there to be seen," a
resident told PTI on phone.
The resident said he witnessed the killing of three other
persons and burning of about ten houses and a car.
At the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital mortuary
a source revealed that one person who was shot dead was
brought in the morning.
Field Operation Officer of the Joint Task Force in Borno State, Colonel Victor Ebhaleme, said one person died while trying to detonate a bomb targeted at one of their formation.
"We had explosion this morning, after which we quickly
rushed to the scene of the incident where we discovered that a
suspected Boko Haram sect member died in process of detonating
an explosive device," he told, denying any killings by his
"Let me also inform you that we were able to rescue some
women and children from one of the houses that went ablaze as
a result of the explosion... We have brought the situation
under control," Ebhaleme said.
Boko Haram, a fundamentalist Islamic group, wants the
establishment of its brand of Sharia rule in Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part IV
- Kerala's Nirbhaya: HC rules out CBI probe in Perumbavoor rape-murder case
- Saudi Arabia denounces Iran over decision to not send Hajj pilgrims this year
- Vaishno Devi pilgrim dies after heart attack
- CLP leader Narayanasamy meets Kiran Bedi, stakes claim to form government in Puducherry
- Amitabh Bachchan finally reacts to daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai's purple lips at Cannes!