Ten die in explosion, shootings in Nigeria
Abuja: A bomb blast and gunfire Wednesday killed
at least 10 people and injured many others in Nigeria`s troubled city of Maiduguri, according to eyewitnesses.
The eyewitnesses said the deaths resulted mainly from the
action of the soldiers who burnt houses and shot sporadically
after a man was killed while trying to throw a bomb at them.
The man died while detonating the bomb following which
soldiers started firing. They also physically assaulted some
inhabitants while searching houses for the bombers suspected
to be members of Islamic sect Boko Haram, residents said.
"From where I am speaking, two corpses are lying along
the road. The soldiers would not allow anyone into that area
for they would not want the destruction there to be seen," a
resident told PTI on phone.
The resident said he witnessed the killing of three other
persons and burning of about ten houses and a car.
At the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital mortuary
a source revealed that one person who was shot dead was
brought in the morning.
Field Operation Officer of the Joint Task Force in Borno State, Colonel Victor Ebhaleme, said one person died while trying to detonate a bomb targeted at one of their formation.
"We had explosion this morning, after which we quickly
rushed to the scene of the incident where we discovered that a
suspected Boko Haram sect member died in process of detonating
an explosive device," he told, denying any killings by his
"Let me also inform you that we were able to rescue some
women and children from one of the houses that went ablaze as
a result of the explosion... We have brought the situation
under control," Ebhaleme said.
Boko Haram, a fundamentalist Islamic group, wants the
establishment of its brand of Sharia rule in Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested