Tens of thousands call for Tunisia govt ouster
Tunis (Tunisia): Tens of thousands of Tunisians on Saturday called for the resignation of the Islamist-led government in one of the largest opposition protests to date.
The protest, organised by the National Salvation Front coalition of parties, marked the traditional 40-day mourning period since the assassination of opposition politician Mohammed Brahmi.
His killing in front of his family plunged the country into a political crisis and prompted dozens of opposition members of the assembly to withdraw from the body, paralyzing its work of writing the country`s new constitution.
They announced yesterday they would begin a hunger strike until their demands were met.
Weeks of mediation by the main labor union between the moderate Islamist Ennahda Party and the opposition have not borne fruit.
"We are determined to continue the struggle to extract the country from the disastrous situation it finds itself in because of those in power," said Beji Caid Essebsi, leader of the right-of-center Nida Tunis (Tunis Calls) party, one of the main opposition groups.
"After the blood, Ennahda has no legitimacy," chanted demonstrators who came from all over the country to answer the opposition call for the march.
When Tunisians overthrew their decades-old authoritarian government in January 2011, it sparked a wave of pro-democracy uprisings across the region, but the transition to democracy has been rocky since.
"Leave! The dictator understood, but you still don`t understand," chanted the marchers, referring to how Tunisia`s president fled for Saudi Arabia in the face of popular demonstrations.
The opposition is demanding the Islamist-led government resign immediately for what they say is its failure to ensure security or manage the economy.
Ennahda has countered by offering to dissolve the government after four weeks to ensure the constitution is completed and the body charged with organising elections has been put in place. In August, Ennahda, which rules in a coalition with two secular parties, organised its own pro-government demonstration of comparable size.
The competing offers have been relayed over the past few weeks by a mediation team composed of the heads of the main labor union, known as the UGTT, the chamber of commerce, the bar association and the league for human rights. They also presented proposals of their own to resolve the crisis. By the end of last week, however, Houcine Abassi of the UGTT indicated that the talks had broken down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing