Tens of thousands in anti-Putin rally in Moscow
Moscow: Tens of thousands of people marched across downtown Moscow on Saturday in the first major protest in three months against President Vladimir Putin -- a sign of the opposition`s strength despite the Kremlin`s efforts to muzzle dissent.
The demonstration showed the opposition`s resilience, despite the government`s attempts to stem the protest movement that brought out more than 100,000 people last winter in a series of big street protests against Putin`s election to a third presidential term.
Hopes for a quick change that many protesters had during the winter have waned, but opposition supporters appeared ready to dig in for a long fight.
"We have to defend our rights, which we were deprived of, the right to have elections. We`re deprived of honest elections and an honest government," opposition activist Alexander Shcherbakov said. "I`m coming to show that and to demonstrate that the people are opposed. I`m opposed to illegitimate government and illegitimate elections."
Leftists, liberals and nationalists mixed with students, teachers, gay activists and others on the capital`s tree-lined boulevards in today`s rally, chanting "Russia without Putin!" and "We are the power here!" The protest remained peaceful as about 7,000 police officers stood guard along the route of the march, and a police helicopter hovered overhead.
Putin has taken a tougher course against the opposition since his inauguration in May with a series of new repressive laws, arrests and interrogation of activists. In August, a court handed two-year prison sentences to three members of the punk band Pussy Riot for performing an anti-Putin song inside Moscow`s main cathedral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list