Tens of thousands pay tribute to late Serbian patriarch
Belgrade: Tens of thousands of people lined the streets of Belgrade on Thursday to bid farewell to late Serbian Orthodox Patriarch Pavle, who led his flock during the fall of communism and the Balkan wars.
After a liturgy service in the patriarchy`s Saborna church, led by church elders in white-golden robes, the open casket with Pavle`s body covered with white, green and golden embroidery shroud was taken for the funeral procession.
Tens of thousands of people lined up central streets in silence, joining the procession in a somber march towards the main Orthodox cathedral, St Sava, in central Belgrade, where the main funeral service would be held.
The patriarch, who died Sunday aged 95, was to be buried later today in Rakovica monastery, in a Belgrade suburb, as he had wished.
The majority of Serbia`s population of 7.5 million people are Orthodox Christians.
As the procession arrived at the plateau in front of the cathedral, the bells tolled while a church choir sang prayer anthems.
The funeral rites were held in the open, around the casket on the red make-shift throne, while many among the mourners carried candles or small icons of their patrons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing