Tens of thousands protest against Albanian government
Tirana: Tens of thousands people rallied on Friday in front of the Albanian government building in Tirana, backing calls by the opposition Socialists for a recount of ballots from last year`s elections.
The protest is the latest development in a political crisis that has shaken the former communist nation and brought the workings of government to a virtual standstill since the polls in June 2009.
"This is the final moment," Gramoc Ruci, a Socialist deputy, told the crowd, which he claimed numbered up to 100,000 people. There was no official figure.
The Socialists accuse Prime Minister Sali Berisha`s ruling coalition of manipulating the results of the elections and have boycotted Parliament to demand a recount, which the government has refused.
"This protest will last for an unlimited period of time," the Socialist Party leader and Mayor of Tirana, Edi Rama, told reporters before the start of the demonstration.
"We are determined to continue the protests and civil disobedience, to oblige the government either to be transparent in regard to the fraud-marked elections or to leave," Rama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead