Tension in Egypt after top prosecutor retracts resignation
Cairo: Egypt’s newly-appointed Prosecutor General Talat Ibrahim Abdullah withdrew his resignation on Thursday, state TV reported.
Abdullah said that his resignation came under ‘ambiguous and extraordinary’ circumstances and under compulsion of prosecution members.
He noted that he withdrew his resignation as he did not accept that history would record their success in such a way to pressure him to resign, state-run al-Ahram online reported.
He added that all the documents of his resignation and withdrawal had been sent to the Justice Minister Ahmed Mekki to give his final decision.
Abdullah submitted his resignation to the head of Supreme Judicial Council on Monday, following a sit-in by some prosecutors outside his office.
According to the state-run al-Ahram online, the Supreme Judicial Council held an urgent meeting to discuss a demand submitted by Abdullah to the council asking for withdrawing his resignation.
The council said in a statement that after the council discussed the reasons behind Abdullah`s resignation, it decided to refer his demand to the Justice Minister to take the necessary measures.
In response to Abdullah`s resignation withdrawal, prosecution members nationwide threatened to start an open-ended sit-in outside his office at the Supreme Court and suspend all their work at the country`s courts and prosecutions.
"Abdullah`s resignation was valid, unblemished and free from pressures," they said on Thursday in a joint statement.
The statement further raised suspicion about the reason for taking back the resignation, saying Abdullah`s decision followed his meeting with members of independent Judges for Egypt Movement and a member of the dissolved Parliament.
On November 22, Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi appointed Abdullah as new prosecutor general for four years, to replace former Prosecutor General Abdel-Maguid Mahmoud.
Mursi`s appointment was included in a new constitutional declaration announced last month, stipulating that the presidential decree is entitled to appoint a prosecutor general for a four-year term among the members of the council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon