Termites eat away currency worth over $65,000 in China
Beijing: An old lady in China had to pay heavily for not keeping her cash worth over USD 65,000 in banks as termites ate away the currency and left bits and pieces for her.
Six months ago, the children of the old lady in Shunde in south China`s Guangdong province gave her CNY 400,000 (USD 65,240).
Instead of depositing the cash in bank or cash box, she simply put the banknotes in a plastic bag and placed it in a wooden drawer on the first floor at home.
She did not notice that her cash was gnawed by termites until this April when she opened the drawer to take some money to decorate her house, Guangzhou Daily reported today.
"The remains of the cash stick together by termite`s mucus ..." she said.
Bank staff scanned and manually counted the remaining banknotes.
After a day`s work, nearly CNY 340,000 (USD 55,454) was identified.
But the old lady lost about CNY 60,000 (USD 9,786).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- In Pakistan's interest to take action against terrorists: Pentagon
- REVEALED: 'Be progressive, not obstructionist' - Here's why Supreme Court slammed Arvind Kejriwal government
- Prakash Javadekar rewrites history! Watch video to know what he said about Netaji, Nehru and Patel
- Amit Shah inaugurates BJP state core group workshop
- Ind-Ra upticks GDP forecast to 7.8%; growth on but not speedy