Termites eat away currency worth over $65,000 in China
Beijing: An old lady in China had to pay heavily for not keeping her cash worth over USD 65,000 in banks as termites ate away the currency and left bits and pieces for her.
Six months ago, the children of the old lady in Shunde in south China`s Guangdong province gave her CNY 400,000 (USD 65,240).
Instead of depositing the cash in bank or cash box, she simply put the banknotes in a plastic bag and placed it in a wooden drawer on the first floor at home.
She did not notice that her cash was gnawed by termites until this April when she opened the drawer to take some money to decorate her house, Guangzhou Daily reported today.
"The remains of the cash stick together by termite`s mucus ..." she said.
Bank staff scanned and manually counted the remaining banknotes.
After a day`s work, nearly CNY 340,000 (USD 55,454) was identified.
But the old lady lost about CNY 60,000 (USD 9,786).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success