Terror shadow: More attacks feared in Russia
Moscow: Russian investigators have warned of more terrorist attacks in the country following Monday’s twin bombings on the Moscow Metro, and said a squad of up to 20 trained suicide bombers is still at large.
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), the successor to the Soviet KGB, said that the two women, who blew themselves up at Lubyanka and Park Kultury metro stations may have been members of a larger group recruited and trained by Chechen rebel leader Said Buryatsky.
Said Buryatsky, dubbed the Russian Osama bin Laden, is thought to have trained the women from the war-torn Caucasus region. He was killed by security services last month.
The Sun quoted investigators, as saying that nine of the group is now thought to have died in attacks, and around 20 more have been readied to carry out bombings.
The officials are racing to track down the others.
Investigators have also released a photo of a suspected male accomplice. He is thought to have accompanied the bombers on a bus from the Caucasus.
Bombers came on an intercity bus
According to investigators, the two young women bombers arrived in Moscow`s Luzhniki market at dawn on Monday after travelling on an intercity bus from a town in the north Caucasus.
“A stocky man, 180-185cms tall, wearing a dark blue jacket with white insets, accompanied them. They had three bags of luggage,” the Guardian reported quoting investigators.
The women then boarded the metro at Vorobyovy Gory or Sparrow Hills and travelled into the centre of town.
The double bombing was the deadliest terror attack inside Russia in six years.
The first explosion ripped through a train that had stopped in the Lubyanka station just below the headquarters of FSB at 8 am local time, and the second came 40 minutes later in a carriage of a train on the platform at the Park Kultury metro station.
The carefully co-coordinated explosions spread panic, as the metro filled with smoke and people rushed for safety.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has vowed to hunt down the masterminds of the bombing "to the bottom of the sewers."
Earlier in February, another Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov had issued an ominous warning saying that terror would be coming to Russia’s big cities in the near future.
“Blood will no longer be limited to our (Caucasus) cities and towns. The war is coming to their (Russian) cities,” Umarov had said.
ANI (With Zeenews Bureau Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read