Terror threat in Europe still real: Europol
Brussels: Europol`s director says terror cells are still actively plotting attacks against Europe.
Robert Wainwright, director of the European police organisation, said a drop in attacks, coupled with intelligence that had thwarted major plots, masked the ongoing threat.
His remarks on Thursday come amid news of a terror threat against Britain, France and Germany. The threat was intercepted in Pakistan by US intelligence officials, sparking a surge in drone missile strikes near the border with Afghanistan.
Wainwright was speaking at a security conference in Brussels.
Officials at the conference also warned of security threats coming from African countries.
Ronald K Noble, Interpol`s Secretary General, says a rise in drug trafficking had fuelled violence and instability. More than a quarter of all cocaine now passes through Africa from South America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'