Terror threat in Europe still real: Europol
Brussels: Europol`s director says terror cells are still actively plotting attacks against Europe.
Robert Wainwright, director of the European police organisation, said a drop in attacks, coupled with intelligence that had thwarted major plots, masked the ongoing threat.
His remarks on Thursday come amid news of a terror threat against Britain, France and Germany. The threat was intercepted in Pakistan by US intelligence officials, sparking a surge in drone missile strikes near the border with Afghanistan.
Wainwright was speaking at a security conference in Brussels.
Officials at the conference also warned of security threats coming from African countries.
Ronald K Noble, Interpol`s Secretary General, says a rise in drug trafficking had fuelled violence and instability. More than a quarter of all cocaine now passes through Africa from South America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?