Terror threat remains for Canadians: Harper
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister
Stephen Harper paid tribute on Saturday to those killed in the
September 11 attacks nine years ago, stressing that the threat
of the terror remains to this day.
"The memory of that day continues to evoke horror
and sorrow in all Canadians, despite the passing of nearly a
decade. Today, we honour those who lost their lives during
those senseless and cowardly attacks, including 24 Canadians,"
Harper said in a statement.
"Sadly, the threat of terrorism is still very much
a global reality, including right here at home. No country is
immune. International and home-grown radical groups continue
to pose a real danger to our safety, and we must remain
Harper stressed that responding to "terrorist
threats" remained a priority of his Conservative government.
"Our government has been taking decisive action to
end the financing of terrorist groups, stop their operations
and help protect and defend the innocent from terrorist
threats and attacks," he added.
In August, Canadian police arrested three men
accused of being part of a "domestic terrorist group"
operating in Canada.
The trio was charged under Canada`s Anti-Terrorism
Act with conspiracy, possessing materials for explosives and
making property or financial services available to a terrorist
A fourth man detained on assault charges while
under surveillance by federal police probing an alleged terror
plot was released on bail early this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened