Terrorist group broken up in Xinjiang: China
Beijing: China said on Thursday it had broken up a gang of "hardcore terrorists" who plotted attacks in the western region of Xinjiang, which was hit by deadly ethnic violence last year.
Public Security Ministry spokesman Wu Heping said the attacks were planned for last year, after long-simmering tensions between Uighurs and majority Han Chinese migrants turned deadly in the regional capital Urumqi last July 05.
Nearly 200 people died in the violence Beijing accuses overseas organisers of plotting.
He said authorities had busted a gang of more than 10 "hardcore terrorists" linked to the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), a banned terrorist organisation advocating independence for Xinjiang.
"The uncovering of this major terrorist group again proves that the ETIM and other terrorist organisations constitute the gravest terrorist threat that our nation faces at this present time and in the future," Wu said at a media briefing.
Wu said the gang had assembled bombs, pipe bombs and gasoline bombs, knives and other materials and had planned attacks in southern Xinjiang cities between July and October 2009. The plot was discovered, and the gang members fled, most to different parts of China and three abroad, Wu said.
Though he did not identify where the three fled, Wu said they were deported to China in December. That same month, Cambodia repatriated 20 Uighurs it said had illegally entered the country, touching off an international outcry.
During the briefing, several slides were displayed showing what appeared to be pipe bombs made from black powder and ball-bearings. Another showed a minivan and four-wheel drive vehicles allegedly used by the gang, while a third showed a kitchen-like room described as a bomb factory in Xinjiang.
No reason was given why the announcement was made now, but it comes just before the first anniversary of the unrest.
The rioting last July between Muslim Uighurs and members of China`s Han majority was the worst communal violence to hit Xinjiang in more than a decade, but authorities have for decades battled a simmering rebellion. Uighurs` resentment has been fuelled by what many see as Beijing`s heavy-handed controls on religion and policies that favour the Han Chinese migrants flooding their traditional homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org