Tests negative in paternity suit against Paraguay`s Prez
Asuncion: All three blood tests conducted to determine the paternity of a boy whose mother had a relationship with Paraguayan President Fernando Lugo came back negative, the head of state`s lawyer said on Thursday.
"With this third negative sample, the paternity suit is over," Marcos Fariña said during a family court hearing in Asuncion.
The mother of the three-year-old boy at the centre of the case, Hortensia Moran, said she was not surprised by the test results and that "time and history" would resolve the question of her son`s paternity.
"I won`t accuse any laboratory. I have no conclusive evidence, but I do have the right to maintain my position," she said when a reporter brought up her earlier allegations about manipulation of the blood samples.
The blood used for the tests, which were carried out at three different labs, was drawn on August 24, days after Lugo underwent his first chemotherapy treatment for non-Hodgkin`s lymphoma.
But Fariña rejected Moran`s claim that the anti-cancer drugs could have distorted the results of the blood tests.
Moran, the 40-year-old director of a day care, contends her son was the result of a liaison with the former Catholic bishop while she was working on his political campaign.
Another paternity suit, brought by Benigna Leguizamon, was settled out of court in December 2009.
Leguizamon, 27, said she and Lugo, 59, became romantically involved when she was working as a cleaner for the Catholic Diocese of San Pedro, where the future president served as bishop for 10 years.
Earlier this year, Lugo publicly acknowledged paternity of the three-year-old son of another woman in her 20s.
Lugo`s 2008 election at the head of a broad-based coalition ended 61 years of rule by the right-wing Colorado Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'