Texas governor vows to fight against `farce` indictment
Washington: Texas Governor Rick Perry, a potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate, vowed on Saturday to fight charges that he abused his power, calling the indictment a politically-motivated "farce."
A state grand jury in Austin indicted Perry on two felony charges Friday for his alleged threat to veto $7.5 million in state funding to an anti-corruption unit run by Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg, a Democrat.
After Lehmberg was convicted of drunken driving, Perry threatened to withhold the funding if she did not step down.
When Lehmberg refused to leave her office, Perry carried out his veto, but it is the apparent threat that has landed him in hot water.
Perry denied any wrongdoing, calling the indictment itself an "abuse of power," and vowing to fight "this farce of a prosecution."
"I exercised this authority to veto funding for an office whose leadership had lost the public`s confidence by acting inappropriately and unethically," he told reporters.
"I wholeheartedly and unequivocally stand behind my veto, and I`ll continue to defend this lawful action of my executive authority as governor.
"I intend to fight against those who would erode our state`s constitution and laws, purely for political purposes, and I intend to win," he added.
Lehmberg declined to comment on the indictment, which immediately triggered calls by rival Democrats for Perry to quit.
"We call on Governor Perry to immediately step down from office," Texas Democratic Party Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa said shortly after the indictment.
"Texans deserve real leadership and this is unbecoming of our governor."
Perry, the longest serving governor in Texas history, took office in 2000 and is due to end his term this year.
He vowed to serve out his full term, despite the latest scandal.
Texans expect "me to do the job and keep the citizens of this state safe, and that is what i am going to do from today until I leave office in January of 2015," Perry said.
But the investigation and the indictment could ruin his chances for a 2016 White House bid, following his failed attempt in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly