Texas House bans `offensive` security pat-downs
Austin: The Texas House has approved final passage of a bill that would make it a criminal offense for public servants to inappropriately touch travellers during airport security pat-downs.
Sent to the Senate Friday, the measure makes it illegal for anyone conducting searches to touch "the anus, sexual organ, buttocks, or breast of another person" including through clothing.
It also prohibits searches "that would be offensive to a reasonable person."
The bill`s chief sponsor is Republican Rep David Simpson. He said during brief debate late Thursday night that "this has to do with dignity and travel, and prohibiting indecent, groping searches."
Simpson believes it will keep Transportation Security Administration officials from treating travellers like criminals, though the measure may be superseded by federal law.
Representatives approved the measure with little opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack