Texas shootout might be tied to Colorado killing
Decatur (Texas): A paroled Colorado inmate who may be linked to the killing of the state`s prison chief led Texas deputies on a high-speed car chase, crashed into a truck and opened fire before being shot down.
Evan Spencer Ebel, 28, was driving a Cadillac that matched the description of the vehicle seen leaving the neighbourhood where Tom Clements was shot. Ebel was hooked up to equipment for organ harvesting, and authorities said yesterday he was not expected to survive.
Colorado investigators immediately went to Texas to determine whether Ebel was linked to Clements` slaying and the killing Sunday of Nathan Leon, a pizza delivery man. Police in Colorado would only say the connection to the Leon case is strong.
Clements was killed as he answered the door to his home Tuesday night. Police haven`t said if they think his death was linked to his job.
The Denver Post first reported Ebel`s name and that he was in a white supremacist prison gang called the 211s. A federal law enforcement official confirmed his identity and gang affiliation to The Associated Press. The official was not authorised to speak publicly about the case and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The car is so far the main link authorities have given between the Colorado case and the Texas shootout.
"We don`t know yet exactly whether this is the guy," Gov. John Hickenlooper told reporters yesterday. "There`s some indication. I hope it is."
El Paso County sheriff`s officials did not return repeated messages yesterday.
Legal records show Ebel was convicted of several crimes in Colorado dating back to 2003, including assaulting a prison guard in 2008. He apparently was paroled, but Colorado Department of Corrections spokeswoman Alison Morgan said she could not release information on prisoners because of the investigation into Clements` death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday