Thai caretaker PM refuses to step down
Bangkok: Thai caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Tuesday reiterated that she would not resign as demanded by anti-government protestors.
Shinawatra insisted that, as per the country`s constitution, she will stay on until a new prime minister is elected, Xinhua reported.
The country`s next general elections are scheduled for Feb 2, 2014. Shinawatra also called on Thai voters to cast their ballots on the election day.
The caretaker cabinet has approved a budget of 3.8 billion baht ($118.6 million) for the elections, according to deputy government spokesman Chalitrat Chandarubeksa.
Representatives of the anti-government People`s Democratic Reform Committee Tuesday urged the Election Commission to postpone the general elections.
Abhisit Vejjajiva Tuesday was re-elected leader of the opposition Democrat Party at the party`s general assembly.
The Assembly is also expected to elect a new executive committee, which will decide whether the party will contest the general election.
Prime Minister Shinawatra announced the dissolution of the House of Representatives Dec 9 to defuse the country`s prolonged political turmoil.
However, anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban refused to call off the street demonstrations unless Shinawatra resigned as caretaker prime minister.
Protestors have demanded that the caretaker government be replaced by an unelected "people`s council" in a bid to uproot the so-called Thaksin regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack