Thai caretaker PM refuses to step down
Bangkok: Thai caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Tuesday reiterated that she would not resign as demanded by anti-government protestors.
Shinawatra insisted that, as per the country`s constitution, she will stay on until a new prime minister is elected, Xinhua reported.
The country`s next general elections are scheduled for Feb 2, 2014. Shinawatra also called on Thai voters to cast their ballots on the election day.
The caretaker cabinet has approved a budget of 3.8 billion baht ($118.6 million) for the elections, according to deputy government spokesman Chalitrat Chandarubeksa.
Representatives of the anti-government People`s Democratic Reform Committee Tuesday urged the Election Commission to postpone the general elections.
Abhisit Vejjajiva Tuesday was re-elected leader of the opposition Democrat Party at the party`s general assembly.
The Assembly is also expected to elect a new executive committee, which will decide whether the party will contest the general election.
Prime Minister Shinawatra announced the dissolution of the House of Representatives Dec 9 to defuse the country`s prolonged political turmoil.
However, anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban refused to call off the street demonstrations unless Shinawatra resigned as caretaker prime minister.
Protestors have demanded that the caretaker government be replaced by an unelected "people`s council" in a bid to uproot the so-called Thaksin regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery