Thai court issues warrant for Thaksin over asset case
Bangkok: Thailand`s Supreme Court on Thursday
issued a new arrest warrant for fugitive former premier
Thaksin Shinawatra in connection with allegations of false
declaration of assets.
"Thaksin failed to appear without notifying the
court. His action shows an intention to escape," said judge
"The case is pending until he can be arrested," he
added. Thai courts have issued a series of warrants for
Thaksin for charges including terrorism -- an accusation
linked to violent street protests in April and May by his
supporters within the anti-government "Red Shirt" movement.
In the latest case, Thaksin faces allegations that he
presented false asset declarations to the National
Anti-Corruption Commission while in office.
The former telecoms tycoon was ousted in a
bloodless military coup in 2006 and lives in self-imposed
exile to avoid a prison jail imposed in absentia for
Thaksin is idolised by many Red Shirts for his
populist policies, including cheap healthcare and village
funds, but Thailand`s elite see him as corrupt, authoritarian
and a threat to the revered monarchy.
In February Thailand`s Supreme Court seized more
than half of Thaksin`s USD 2.3-billion fortune after ruling
that he had abused his power for personal gain.
Thailand`s Department of Special Investigation said
today it had forwarded cases against 25 people linked to the
Red Shirt protests, including Thaksin, to the attorney
general, recommending they be indicted for terrorism.
At least 90 people died and some 1,900 were injured
a series of street clashes between armed troops and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!