Thai court issues warrant for Thaksin over asset case
Bangkok: Thailand`s Supreme Court on Thursday
issued a new arrest warrant for fugitive former premier
Thaksin Shinawatra in connection with allegations of false
declaration of assets.
"Thaksin failed to appear without notifying the
court. His action shows an intention to escape," said judge
"The case is pending until he can be arrested," he
added. Thai courts have issued a series of warrants for
Thaksin for charges including terrorism -- an accusation
linked to violent street protests in April and May by his
supporters within the anti-government "Red Shirt" movement.
In the latest case, Thaksin faces allegations that he
presented false asset declarations to the National
Anti-Corruption Commission while in office.
The former telecoms tycoon was ousted in a
bloodless military coup in 2006 and lives in self-imposed
exile to avoid a prison jail imposed in absentia for
Thaksin is idolised by many Red Shirts for his
populist policies, including cheap healthcare and village
funds, but Thailand`s elite see him as corrupt, authoritarian
and a threat to the revered monarchy.
In February Thailand`s Supreme Court seized more
than half of Thaksin`s USD 2.3-billion fortune after ruling
that he had abused his power for personal gain.
Thailand`s Department of Special Investigation said
today it had forwarded cases against 25 people linked to the
Red Shirt protests, including Thaksin, to the attorney
general, recommending they be indicted for terrorism.
At least 90 people died and some 1,900 were injured
a series of street clashes between armed troops and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum