Thai government building hit by blast ahead of protest
Bangkok: A small blast hit Thailand`s customs department compound on Saturday, authorities said, ahead of a planned street protest by tens of thousands of anti-government campaigners.
The explosion was the latest in a series of about a dozen blasts, mostly caused by grenades, that have been set off in Bangkok and surrounding areas since the rolling demonstrations began on March 14.
Police said an explosive went off outside the government building in central Bangkok, shattering windows and damaging a van parked nearby, but caused no injuries.
"The bomb went off at 3:45 am, we still don`t know type of bomb it was, we will have to wait for a forensic examination," said a district police officer.
Red-shirted supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra were massing before setting off on a new street parade as they continued their campaign to push for fresh elections.
The "Red Shirts", largely from poor northern areas, say the government is illegitimate because it came to power with Army backing in a 2008 parliamentary vote, after a controversial court ruling removed Thaksin`s allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack