Thai junta frees 14 Cambodian migrant workers
Phnom Penh: The Thai military junta has released 14 Cambodian migrant workers imprisoned last month for holding fake work visas, Cambodia`s foreign ministry said Friday.
"Thai authorities released them after they determined that the workers were also victims because their brokers made fake documents for them," Xinhua quoted a ministry spokesman as saying.
"Those workers, including 10 females, returned to Cambodia this Friday morning," the spokesman added.
The workers were arrested last month while they tried to return to Cambodia amid a sudden mass exodus of migrant workers from Thailand.
The release came three days after Cambodia`s King Norodom Sihamoni granted a royal pardon to a convicted Thai activist Veera Somkwamkid during a visit from acting Thai Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow.
During a meeting with Sihasak at Phnom Penh`s Peace Palace Tuesday, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen requested the Thai junta to consider the release of the 14 workers.
The prime minister said those workers were also victims of human trafficking because they asked a ringleader to do work permits for them, but the ringleader used fake stamps on their work documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections