Thai junta sets up reform, reconciliation committee
Bangkok: The Thai military junta has set up a new committee to take charge of reconciliation and reform in the country, an official said Tuesday.
The Committee for Reconciliation and Reform (CRR) would be responsible for soliciting opinions and suggestions from various agencies to formulate a plan on national reconciliation and reform, Xinhua quoted Said Banpot Phunpian, spokesman of the Internal Security Operations Command, as saying.
According to the junta`s roadmap, it could take at least one year to complete the reconciliation and reform process before a general election can be held.
The CRR falls under the supervision of the Office of the Permanent Secretary for Defence and will comprise representatives of relevant government agencies, Banpot said.
A working group for reform preparations directly under the CRR has also been set up, Banpot said, adding the working group is designed to compile reform proposals from diversified sources, including political parties, academics and the general public.
The working group will be composed of representatives from the military, police, civilian sector and academics, Banpot said.
Thai army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha declared a bloodless coup May 22 in order to ensure peace and order after months of political protests, in which 28 people were killed and more than 800 injured.
Chan-ocha earlier declared martial law May 20 in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?