Thai King makes 1st trip outside Bangkok in years
Bangkok: Thousands of Thais lined the roads from Bangkok to the historic capital Ayutthaya to catch a glimpse of the country`s 84-year-old monarch as he makes his first trip outside the city since being hospitalised in 2009.
Crowds dressed in yellow and pink to honour King Bhumibol Adulyadej, whose health is a matter of immense public concern. His convoy was due to depart Bangkok late afternoon on Friday.
Grand pageantry was planned for the visit, including a parade of rare white elephants and a river procession of traditional boats.
The royal visit was centred on a trip to a rice paddy the King once visited in 1996 as part of a royal project to develop a water retention system to mitigate flooding problems in the flood-prone area around Ayutthaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan