Thai King makes 1st trip outside Bangkok in years
Bangkok: Thousands of Thais lined the roads from Bangkok to the historic capital Ayutthaya to catch a glimpse of the country`s 84-year-old monarch as he makes his first trip outside the city since being hospitalised in 2009.
Crowds dressed in yellow and pink to honour King Bhumibol Adulyadej, whose health is a matter of immense public concern. His convoy was due to depart Bangkok late afternoon on Friday.
Grand pageantry was planned for the visit, including a parade of rare white elephants and a river procession of traditional boats.
The royal visit was centred on a trip to a rice paddy the King once visited in 1996 as part of a royal project to develop a water retention system to mitigate flooding problems in the flood-prone area around Ayutthaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India