Thai military arrest army general for extortion
Bangkok: A Thai army general has been arrested on suspicion of extortion in a notorious Bangkok red light district, officials said on Thursday, in a rare case of authorities prosecuting a member of the military.
Major-General Jenronnarong Detwan, 56, was arrested by the military yesterday at a hotel near the seedy Patpong area charged with extorting money from street vendors, the Defence Ministry told.
"He is the most senior member of the military ever arrested for extortion," said the ministry`s Lieutenant Colonel Burin Tongprapai, who led the arrest.
Patpong is a strip of go-go bars catering mainly to foreigners attracted by Thailand`s huge sex industry.
The military, who took power in a May 22 coup, began investigating the general after complaints from street vendors who hawk everything from cut-price DVDs to counterfeit handbags and watches.
Jenronnarong has denied the charge.
"But he said he took money from traders to pay the owners of the copyrighted goods," according to Burin, who added the general is now under both criminal and military investigation.
Junta spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvaree confirmed the arrest.
The military also arrested four civilians accused of working with Jenronnarong.
Since seizing power, Thailand`s new junta rulers have vowed to root-out corruption across the kingdom.
The coup followed nearly seven months of protests against the toppled government which were pock-marked by deadly violence.
The junta has since suspended democracy, muzzled dissent and imposed sweeping curbs on freedom of expression as it bids to re-write the constitution and enact political reforms before holding new elections around October next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter