Thai military base attack: Troops kill 17 militants
Pattani: Successfully staving off an insurgent attack on a military base in country’s south, Thai troops killed 17 militants, officials said Wednesday.
A marine base in Thailand’s Narathiwat province was attacked by insurgents late Tuesday night, Col Pramote Promin said.
The militants were donning military uniform like dress and were about 50 in number.
The colonel added that the attack ended with 17 militants dead and no soldiers harmed.
The military had already been on alert as the locals had tipped them off.
An Islamic insurgency erupted in 2004 in Thailand`s three southernmost provinces, a Muslim-majority region in the Buddhist-dominated country. In April of that year, guerrillas launched simultaneous attacks on police stations and checkpoints in the three provinces, triggering clashes in which more than 100 militants died; 32 of them were killed at the Kreu-Sae mosque in Pattani where they were holed up.
Sunai Phasuk, a Bangkok-based researcher for Human Rights Watch, said the overnight toll was the worst since then.
Muslims in the south have long complained of discrimination by the central government in the capital, Bangkok, and the insurgents are thought to be fighting for autonomy. But the insurgency itself remains murky, with militants making no public pronouncements on their goals.
Officials from security agencies are scheduled to meet Friday to discuss safety measures for the southernmost provinces.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row