Thai military base attack: Troops kill 17 militants
Pattani: Successfully staving off an insurgent attack on a military base in country’s south, Thai troops killed 17 militants, officials said Wednesday.
A marine base in Thailand’s Narathiwat province was attacked by insurgents late Tuesday night, Col Pramote Promin said.
The militants were donning military uniform like dress and were about 50 in number.
The colonel added that the attack ended with 17 militants dead and no soldiers harmed.
The military had already been on alert as the locals had tipped them off.
An Islamic insurgency erupted in 2004 in Thailand`s three southernmost provinces, a Muslim-majority region in the Buddhist-dominated country. In April of that year, guerrillas launched simultaneous attacks on police stations and checkpoints in the three provinces, triggering clashes in which more than 100 militants died; 32 of them were killed at the Kreu-Sae mosque in Pattani where they were holed up.
Sunai Phasuk, a Bangkok-based researcher for Human Rights Watch, said the overnight toll was the worst since then.
Muslims in the south have long complained of discrimination by the central government in the capital, Bangkok, and the insurgents are thought to be fighting for autonomy. But the insurgency itself remains murky, with militants making no public pronouncements on their goals.
Officials from security agencies are scheduled to meet Friday to discuss safety measures for the southernmost provinces.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate