Thai PM cancels overseas trip amid mass protests
Bangkok: Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva cancelled a scheduled visit to Vietnam on Thursday for a Southeast Asian leaders summit, a day after declaring a state of emergency to control mass protests.
The emergency declared in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces gives the Army sweeping powers to detain or remove people without a court order after protesters stormed Parliament on Wednesday, forcing some government officials to flee by helicopter.
By Thursday, authorities had blocked most websites associated with the red-shirted supporters of twice-elected and now fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, although its affiliated radio stations remained on air. The protesters are demanding a new election.
Abhisit dropped his plans to travel to Vietnam for a Southeast Asian leaders summit, Issara Sunthornwat, the prime minister`s deputy secretary-general, said, citing the state of emergency in Bangkok.
The decree allows authorities to suspend certain civil liberties, ban public gatherings of more than five people and stop media reporting news that "causes panic”.
"Red shirt" leader Weng Tojirakarn remained defiant.
"Today we will go on the offensive. We can`t sit still and do nothing -- this is our right," Weng said.
Thai stocks and the baht currency fell but traders said this reflected weakness in markets across Asia rather than fallout from protests. On Wednesday, as protesters stormed Parliament, Thai stocks and the baht rose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you