Thai police identifies 2 more suspects in Bangkok blasts
Bangkok: Thai police on Thursday said they have
identified two more suspects in last month`s triple explosions
in central Bangkok.
Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Pansiri Prapawat, who is
heading the investigation, did not give details of the
suspects but said his team was looking into their possible
links to the five Iranians already in custody.
Meanwhile, Iranian national Madani Mehrded, who was
detained on Sunday, has been sentenced to three months in jail
and fined 3000 baht for overstaying his visa.
Mehrded will be interrogated by police who are looking
into the February 14 bomb explosions.
Police expect to complete their probe into the blasts
this week, after gathering evidence and details from
interviews with witnesses, while waiting to question Masoud
The Iranian man is in Malaysian police custody pending
likely extradition to Thailand.
Police found that the stickers imprinted with "SEJEAL"
had been posted on Bangkok streets before the day of the
blasts. Special Branch police has tried to decipher the
meaning of the mysterious Arabic word.
Saeib Morabi, the Iranian suspect who lost both legs in
his alleged two grenade attacks that backfired, would not be
informed of the criminal charges against him until he recovers
enough, the Nation newspaper said.
Pansiri thanked witnesses for their cooperation and the
general public for helping, along with public prosecutors and
the Foreign Ministry, which resulted in the police
investigation "making good progress in two weeks` time".
He said he had assigned two more senior investigators to
find out who were the intended targets. He declined to comment
on a report that Iranian Embassy officials recently visited
the suspects and later said Iran was being smeared.
Police are maintaining tight security at the Israeli
Embassy located in an office tower in central Bangkok and at
areas frequented by visitors from Israel and the Middle East.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended