Thai `Red Shirts` mark a year since deadly clash
Bangkok: Tens of thousands of anti-government "Red Shirts" are expected to gather in Bangkok on Sunday to mark a year since deadly clashes between troops and protesters during their mass rally in the capital.
Police have predicted up to 50,000 people could attend the gathering, which is set to be addressed by fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, a hero for many of the red-shirted demonstrators, via video link.
Thailand, which is preparing for elections set to be held later this year, remains deeply divided following the worst civil violence in decades in April and May 2010 that left around 90 people dead, mostly civilians.
Fights between the military and protesters on April 10 last year left 26 people dead and marked a violent turning point in the rally.
The protest was halted the following month, when troops firing live rounds and backed by armoured vehicles moved in to disperse the demonstrators.
"The purpose of the rally on Sunday is to mark the first anniversary of the brutal crackdown on unarmed protesters and we want to honour our heroes," said Red Shirt spokesman Worawut Wichaidit.
"We hope that this rally will attract a large number of Red Shirts," he said.
Recent gatherings have attracted tens of thousands of protesters to the capital and marked a show of strength for the movement. But they have been well short of the 100,000 people who joined last year`s protests at their peak.
Major General Wichai Sungprapai, of the Bangkok Metropolitan police, said around 3,300 officers would be deployed for Sunday`s demonstration, which is due to begin at about 3 pm local time (0800 GMT) and go on late into the night.
Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, is set to address the crowd from overseas in the evening, according to Red Shirt Nattawut Saikua.
Thaksin, a former billionaire telecoms tycoon, is hailed by the Reds for his policies for the poor while in power, but seen by the Thai ruling elite as authoritarian, corrupt and a threat to the revered monarchy.
He faces terrorism charges in Thailand, accused of bankrolling last year`s anti-government protests and of instigating unrest.
The Reds view Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva`s government as an unelected elite because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote with military backing, after a court ruling threw out the previous administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow