Thai tourists stranded mid-air as monorail stops working
Bangkok: Twenty foreign and Thai tourists were stranded mid-air for an hour after an electric monorail stopped working at a zoo in Thailand`s northern province of Chiang Mai frequented by several Indian visitors every month.
A rescue basket was deployed to free the passengers from cars about 10 metres above the ground, Bangkok Post online said, adding that no one was injured.
A preliminary investigation showed that a brake problem caused it to stop unexpectedly.
The monorail, which was pressed into service in late 2007, can transport between 50 and 70 passengers at a time in air-conditioned cars.
The nationalities of the foreigners were not announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive