Thailand: 188 killed during Songkran festival
Bangkok: At least 188 people have been killed and 2,786 others injured in road accidents during an ongoing Thai festival, Xinhua reported.
The deaths have occurred during the traditional Songkran festival holidays, Thailand`s local disaster prevention and mitigation department stated Saturday.
On Friday alone, 40 people were killed and another 470 injured in 443 road accidents, the department said while blaming speeding and alcohol for most of the accidents.
Songkran festival is the traditional Thai New Year festival famous for water-splashing celebrations. It is being celebrated between April 13-17 this year.
A large number of Thais have started to leave or enter cities to reach their homes since early this week.
Hundreds of people are killed each year in road accidents during Songkran festive.
Motorcycles are usually involved in most of these road accidents, followed by pick-up trucks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?