Thailand: 188 killed during Songkran festival
Bangkok: At least 188 people have been killed and 2,786 others injured in road accidents during an ongoing Thai festival, Xinhua reported.
The deaths have occurred during the traditional Songkran festival holidays, Thailand`s local disaster prevention and mitigation department stated Saturday.
On Friday alone, 40 people were killed and another 470 injured in 443 road accidents, the department said while blaming speeding and alcohol for most of the accidents.
Songkran festival is the traditional Thai New Year festival famous for water-splashing celebrations. It is being celebrated between April 13-17 this year.
A large number of Thais have started to leave or enter cities to reach their homes since early this week.
Hundreds of people are killed each year in road accidents during Songkran festive.
Motorcycles are usually involved in most of these road accidents, followed by pick-up trucks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre