Bangkok: More than 30 people, most of them
foreign tourists, had to be rushed to hospitals on Saturday after
being taken ill due to a chlorine leak at a hotel in the beach
resort of Phuket.
The nationalities of the tourists were not immediately
available, chief police investigator Chavalit Pethsripia said.
More than 30 people suffered minor injuries, none of them
serious, after they inhaled an unhealthy level of chlorine in
The leak caused skin irritation and sore eyes, according
to director Phumin Silapan at the Patong Hospital.
"There are 37 people hospitalised, including 26
foreigners," he said.
While 12 had already been discharged, 25 others were
referred to a larger hospital.
One of those referred was a pregnant tourist who had
breathing difficulties after inhaling the chemical, he said.