Thailand in political limbo as Yingluck Shinawatra sacked over abuse of power
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Bangkok: Hours after Thailand`s first female Prime Minister Yingluck Shinwatra was ordered to step down by a court for abuse of power, a new caretaker PM was appointed on Wednesday.
The Thai cabinet agreed to appoint former Deputy PM and Minister of Commerce Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan as the new caretaker prime minister, announced Phongthep Thepkanjana, a deputy prime minister.
In victory for her political opponents and the country`s urban and middle class citizens, Yingluck was proved guilty of using her status as Prime Minister to transfer a top official for her own and party`s benefit, ruled the Constitutional Court on Wednesday.
The move is further set to push Thailand deeper into political uncertainty that the nation has been facing since last year.
Calling the National Security Chief`s transfer in 2011 as a violation of the constitution, the court said in the ruling that transferring government officials must be done in accordance with moral principle and any transfer done with a “hidden agenda” is not acceptable.
The Constitutional Court ruled that Ms Yingluck violated Article 268 of the Constitution, and hence must end her term as the PM.
The court`s ruling which was televised, also ordered nine other cabinet ministers to step down as they were said to have been complicit in the illegal transfer.
Yingluck Shinawatra who has been facing anti-government protests since last six months, was charged with abusing her power in 2011 when she transferred National Security Chief Thawil Pliensr in 2011 to another position.
Denying the allegations against her by anti-government senators, Yingluck today appeared before the Constitutional Court and said, that Mr Thawil`s transfer was for the nation`s benefit and it didn`t violate any laws.
"I deny the allegation... I didn`t violate any laws, I didn`t receive any benefit from the appointment," Ms Yingluck told the court on Tuesday.
By ousting Yingluck government, the country`s legal system has done what the protesters have been trying to do since last November when the Cabinet tried to pass an Amnesty law that wouls have paved the way for her brother Thakisn Shinawatra`s return.
Protesters led by opposition leader Suthep Thaugsuban accuse Yingluck government of being a puppet regime being run indirectly by her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in 2006 ina military coup after being accused of corruption.
The protesters, mainly urban and middle class people, had been protesting against her governance and wanted a new “people`s council” to be elected.
Yingluck, Thailand`s first female prime minister, and her Pheu Thai party stormed to power in 2011 elections and remains popular with the rural people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt