Thailand makes rare arrest of protest leader
Bangkok: Thai authorities have made a rare arrest of one of the leaders of the country`s anti-government protest movement on charges including insurrection and inciting unrest, an official said Saturday.
Former opposition lawmaker Sakoltee Phattiyakul is one of only a handful of prominent protesters to have been detained despite dozens of arrest warrants.
He was arrested at around midnight at Bangkok`s main airport while returning from a trip overseas.
"He faces five serious accusations including insurrection, trespassing, inciting unrest and obstruction of an election," said Tarit Pengdith, director-general of the Ministry of Justice`s Department of Special Investigation (DSI).
Sakoltee was later released by the Criminal Court in Bangkok on bail of 600,000 baht ($18,600) on the condition that he does not leave the country or incite unrest.
Leaders of the anti-government movement have flouted arrest warrants to deliver fiery speeches, lead marches, block roads and besiege government buildings in their bid to topple Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.
Sakoltee led protesters to storm the building of broadcaster Thai PBS late last year.
The movement wants to replace Yingluck`s government with an unelected "people`s council" that would oversee reforms to tackle alleged corruption and rein in the political dominance of her billionaire family.
Top protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban faces several arrest warrants linked to the rallies including for treason, as well as murder charges linked to a deadly crackdown on opposition demonstrations in 2010 when he was deputy prime minister.
Yingluck meanwhile is accused of dereliction of duty linked to a loss-making rice subsidy scheme and the improper transfer of a senior civil servant. Both cases could lead to her removal from office within weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?