Thailand prolongs emergency rule in restive south
Bangkok: Thailand on Tuesday extended emergency
rule in three insurgency-plagued southern provinces until
October as it struggles to quell unrest that has left more
than 4,100 people dead in six years.
The cabinet agreed to retain the decree -- which would
have expired on July 19 -- for another three months in Yala,
Pattani and Narathiwat, government spokesman Supachai Jaismut
"This law is still crucial for enabling security
officials in the south to do their jobs," Supachai said.
The extension means the army will keep special powers,
including the ability to detain suspects for questioning
Imposed in mid-2005, the state of emergency has now been
prolonged 20 times.
The southern region was once an autonomous Malay
sultanate until Buddhist Thailand annexed it a century ago,
provoking decades of tension that flared up into the current
Insurgent attacks by a shadowy mix of Islamist and
separatist militants, have targeted both Buddhists and Muslims
since January 2004, with shootings, bombings and gruesome
killings such as beheadings and crucifixions.
Rights groups have warned that alleged abuses by the
security forces in the region, including the treatment of
detainees, risk stoking the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'