Thailand tense as anti-govt protests continue
Bangkok: Thai authorities on Friday deployed nearly 10,000 policemen across the capital as the ruling party feared that anti-government protests could trigger violence.
Demonstrators angry at an amnesty proposal that may have allowed the return of self-exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, have remained on Bangkok`s streets despite the controversial bill being turned down unanimously by Parliament.
Opposition leader Suthep Thaugsuban, who led a rally at the Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen road, has vowed to intensify agitation.
The movement originally aimed at blocking the blanket amnesty legislation, is now aimed at toppling the Premier Yingluck Shinawatra`s administration.
The opposition Democrat Party has submitted an impeachment motion against Yingluck, Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan. The motion, sponsored by 146 Democrat MPs, alleged that the three have abused their authority.
Police has warned that protests will not be allowed in restricted areas around Parliament and the Royal Palace.
Thailand has been rocked by several rounds of opposing protests since Thaksin`s government was deposed in an Army coup in 2006 that have periodically brought chaos to the kingdom.
About 90 people died and nearly 1,900 were wounded in a series of street clashes in 2010 between mostly unarmed Red Shirt demonstrators and security forces firing live rounds in central Bangkok.
Polls in 2011 brought Thaksin`s Red Shirt-backed Puea Thai party to power with his sister Yingluck now Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof