Thailand urges Israel to relocate workers
Bangkok: Thailand on Thursday urged Israel to relocate 4,000 Thai nationals working near the battle-scarred Gaza strip after one of its citizens was killed.
Israeli police said a farm labourer, Narakorn Kittiyongkul, died on Wednesday when a projectile fired from Gaza struck the greenhouse where he was working in the southern part of the country.
He joined a soaring death toll from 17 days of conflict which has claimed more than 700 lives so far and prompted frantic diplomatic efforts to forge a truce led by the US and United Nations.
The Thai Foreign Ministry said its embassy in Tel Aviv had advised its citizens to stop working in the area near Gaza.
"The Thai Embassy has contacted the Israeli Foreign Ministry and employers to ask them to relocate 4,000 Thai workers in agriculture estates near the Gaza strip immediately and unconditionally to safe areas 10 to 20 kilometres (6-12 miles) away," ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee told reporters in Bangkok.
"But we will not evacuate our workers from Israel yet," he added.
Thousands of overseas workers, many from Southeast Asia, work on Israeli farms and in factories.
Israeli air strikes and military incursions into Gaza have battered the densely populated enclave, leaving more than 700 dead.
Gaza-based rights groups say at least 80 percent of the victims are civilians, including women and children.
Israel says over 30 of its soldiers have died since it began ground operations on July 17.
Israel says it is targeting the Islamist Hamas movement which has fired hundreds of rockets into Israel over recent months.
US Secretary of State John Kerry and UN chief Ban Ki-moon held talks in Jerusalem on Wednesday in a bid to secure a ceasefire, but so far Hamas has rejected any truce without the lifting of Israel`s eight-year blockade on Gaza.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands