Thailand`s `jet-set monk` being hunted over sex charges
Washington: Thai authorities have issued an arrest warrant against a 34-year old Buddhist monk accused of rape, having sex with minors and drug trafficking.
The so-called `jet-set monk`, Luang Pu Nenkham, has claimed to be the reincarnation of a respected monk who lived several decades ago.
He has been accused of ignoring his Buddhist vows of celibacy and a simple, moral living.
Thailand`s Department of Special Investigation (DSI), a division of the Ministry of Justice, said it believes a video, posted on YouTube, showing Nenkham of having sex, was shot by one of the monks on the plane, passed around and then posted anonymously.
Nenkham, now stripped of his religious leadership, owned at least 83 automobiles and a list of properties that include plots of land, houses and condominiums, the DSI said.
According to the report, authorities also estimate at least THB 300 million, or nearly USD 10 million, have disappeared from Nenkham`s bank accounts in recent days.
Donations over the past decade, from poor supporters as well as rich backers, had helped Nenkham amass his total wealth.
Nenkham is facing charges of violating Thailand`s computer crime act by posting `deceitful information`, having sex with a minor and rape.
The DSI said, as per intelligence sources, Nenkham is now believed to be in the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation