Thailand`s Thaksin to visit 3 Asian countries
Bangkok: Fugitive former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced on his online Twitter page that he will make a week-long trip to visit three Asian countries.
His visit to Cambodia last month, to take up an economic advisory role with the government, caused a diplomatic row after Cambodian Premier Hun Sen refused to extradite Thaksin to Thailand to serve a two-year jail term for graft.
"I have asked permission to visit and exchange views with three leaders in Asia for seven to eight days," Thaksin said on his Twitter page, giving no further details.
Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday responded to rumours that Thaksin was planning a return to neighbouring Cambodia and said the government would probably submit another extradition request if he did so.
"If he enters our airspace we will try to arrest him because he is facing a jail term. We are likely to request for his extradition once again," Abhisit told reporters.
On Friday, Cambodia`s King Norodom Sihamoni pardoned Thai national Siwarak Chothipong, who had been sentenced to seven years in prison for spying on Thaksin during his visit to Phnom Penh.
The 31-year-old employee at the Cambodia Air Traffic Service will be released from prison on Monday, following his conviction last Tuesday for supplying Thaksin`s flight schedule to the Thai embassy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read