Thanks for prayers for my family`s grief: Pope Francis
Vatican City: Pope Francis expressed thanks on Wednesday for the prayers and condolences he has received following the death of his nephew`s wife and their two young boys in a car crash in the pontiff`s native Argentina.
"I thank you for your condolences for what happened in my family," Francis said. "Even the pope has a family."
Later in the day, Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner telephoned Francis to express "condolences from her and from the Argentine people," the Vatican said.
The 77-year-old pope listened as priests expressed condolences in several languages during his weekly public audience at the Vatican.
Francis then explained about his family. "We were five siblings. I have 16 nephews and nieces and one of these nephews had a car accident and lost his wife and two little ones and is in critical condition. I thank you very much for your condolences and prayers."
The pope looked pensive at the start of the audience held in a Vatican auditorium two days after he returned from a six-day trip to South Korea. But Francis, a passionate fan of the San Lorenzo soccer team, brightened when he greeted members of the Buenos Aires squad, which won the Copa Libertadores, South America`s prestigious soccer trophy.
"I greet the San Lorenzo champions," Francis said, smiling broadly. The club is "part of my cultural identity."
He shook hands with team members, who brought along the trophy, and grinned when he was given a red-and-blue team jersey and posed for photos with them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan