Thatcher left `profound mark` on Britain: Hollande
Paris: French President Francois Hollande on Monday hailed former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher as a "great figure who left a profound mark on the history of her country."
"Throughout her public life, with conservative beliefs she fully assumed, she was concerned with the United Kingdom`s influence and the defence of its interests," Hollande said.
"She maintained a relationship with France that was frank and honest," Hollande said, adding that Thatcher and former French president Francois Mitterrand had shared a "constructive and fruitful dialogue".
"Together they worked to strengthen the ties between our two countries. And it was at this time that Mrs Thatcher gave the decisive impetus to the construction of the cross-Channel tunnel," Hollande said.
The president also offered his "very strong and very sincere condolences" to Thatcher`s family and loved ones.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Facebook rewards 10-year-old for discovering flaw in Instagram
- Google autonomous car project teams with Fiat Chrysler
- Will shoot policemen if they continue to harass BJP workers, warns BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Brazil court scraps suspension of WhatsApp
- Emaar MGF defends Rahul Gandhi, says allegations levelled by BJP MP are baseless